Monday, December 13, 2010

Turning 2-day outreaches into 2-minute outreaches

JFA’s very first 2010 training gave me firsthand opportunity to witness the practical goal of JFA’s Abortion: From Debate to Dialogue (ADD) training:
Translate two day life-changing JFA training experiences into two minute life-changing conversations with family, friends and peers.
Texan native Charity Boaz met JFA Texas staffer Jacob Burow through FaceBook. Jacob persuaded her to attend our Georgia Tech (GT) training. Charity flew to Atlanta to attend our Sunday afternoon ADD seminar at GT.

She was in my GT outreach carpool the following Monday morning. We finished our journey to the GT campus each day via MARTA, Atlanta’s mass transit train.

Despite a very rainy Monday Charity had 15-20 conversations in which she practiced JFA’s 3 essential dialogue skills: ask good questions, listen, and find common ground.

On Tuesday morning’s 10-minute crowded MARTA commute, I had to stand but Charity found a seat beside a young man (Darius) who promptly asked if she was a GT student.

"No," she said, "but I am going to GT for the 2nd day of a pro-life outreach." Darius barely had time to nod before Charity asked him, "So are you pro-life or pro-choice?"

"I’m...(hesitating) I don't know. Which are you?" Darius was as smart as he looked!

"Oh," Charity quickly responded, "I'm pro-life. May I show you why?"

“Sure,” he said. Charity proceeded to give Darius our 2-minute side-one tour of the JFA Exhibit using the 9-inch JFA Exhibit brochure, asking the key questions: “When do we become human?” and “Should wanted-ness determine our value as humans?”

As the train neared the GT stop Darius told Charity, “I think I’m pro-life too. May I have that brochure?”

“Sure,” responded Charity, handing it to him. “If you fill out the card in the back I’ll make sure you receive more information. Thanks for letting me share it with you.”

“Oh, thank you,” said Darius. “I plan to share this with my friends.”

Through God’s blessing, your prayers and your generous financial support, we’ve had an entire year of equipping more than 1,500 students and young adults like Charity to become 2-minute ambassadors!

No comments:

Post a Comment